Lisa Ross Memorial Scholarship
Since 2004, the AABC Foundation has awarded the Lisa Ross Memorial Scholarship to midwives practicing in birth centers and full-time midwifery students with the desire to work in a birth center. The scholarship, named in honor of Lisa Ross, an early pioneer in the development of birth centers, covers the registration fee for the AABC Birth Institute, the annual convention of the American Association of Birth Centers. Over the years, the scholarship has helped promising midwives and students find their place and grow in the world of birth centers.
Lisa Dahin Ross was the Director of Midwifery Services at the Lisa Ross Birth & Women's Center (formerly the Maternity Center of East Tennessee) from 1994-1998.
A native of Clarksville, TN, Lisa was a nurse-practitioner and a nurse-midwife who helped establish the first freestanding birth center in Tennessee.
She was a huge proponent for licensure and accreditation for birth centers and worked to ensure quality services were delivered to patients. Lisa caught more than 1,000 babies in her career.
In 1998, she received the AABC Professional Achievement Award in recognition of her exemplary practice as a birth center midwife and her continuing contributions to the field.
To be eligible for the scholarship an individual must:
- Be a practicing midwife employed in a birth center or a full-time student midwife wanting to work in a birth center,
- Be attending the AABC convention for the first time,
- Demonstrate financial need.
Individuals wishing to apply for consideration may complete an online application form addressing the following questions:
- What is your experience with birth centers?
- Why do you need financial assistance to attend the AABC Birth Institute?
- If you are a practicing midwife in a birth center: How would attending the AABC Birth Institute benefit you, your practice, and the birth center where you work?
- If you are student midwife, How would attending the AABC Birth Institute benefit you, and your plan to establish or work in a birth center?
Stay tuned for the 2018 dates and deadlines.
Questions? Contact Linda Baysore: email email@example.com or call 215-234-8068